International Foundation Year Entry Requirements
To enrol on a pathway programme, you should:
- Be at least 17 years old at the start of the course
- Have good high school grades
Get in touch with one of our advisors. They can explain the entry requirements that apply to your country's education system.
If you think you're ready you can fill in our online application form straight away.
You must have achieved the following:
- IELTS 5.0 overall, with 5.0 in writing
- TOEFL - Listening 15, Reading 13, Speaking 18, Writing 15
- IGCSE/GCSE: 5 passes at A-C, in relevant subjects with a C in Maths (excluding native language) assuming this is the only qualification being offered
- Cambridge O Levels: 5 passes at A-C in relevant subjects, with a C in Maths (excluding native language).
- New grades 9 - 4 in English and Maths.
Find out more about valid test providers and approved test centre locations for tests taken on or after 6 April 2015. To find out if you are exempt from the SELT requirement, and to find out about acceptable English language tests, please contact us.
Country of residence/nationality
You must be what is defined as an ‘overseas student’ and not eligible for EU fees to enrol on a pathway programme. If you have a European passport, please read the pages for EU applicants on the UCD website.
In order to make the most of your time at the International Study Centre, we ask applicants to attain a minimum level of education. Use the table below to find out the relevant qualifications for your country.
English language preparation course
If you haven’t achieved an IELTS score of 5.0 you can take our Language for Study modules at the International Study Centre. Students with an IELTS score of 4.0 will need to study at least one term of Language for Study to meet entry requirements. Courses start in June or September. If you achieve the required grades in the Language for Study module, you will be able to start your pathway programme.